Now Playing
97.1 The River
Last Song Played
Classic Hits
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
97.1 The River
Last Song Played
Classic Hits

entertainment

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >

40 Years Ago: Keith Moon's Final Appearance With the Who

Keith Moon’s friend Chris Glen of the Michael Schenker Group discusses the drummer’s final performance with the Who and his legendary antics.

Continue reading…

Alleged Weinstein victim: Tough part ahead with his defense

A woman who claims she was a victim of Harvey Weinstein in two incidents in the 1990s said alleged survivors she's in touch with feel "elated" at his surrender and arrest Friday, but predicted he'll now "play hard and dirty."

Louise Godbold, a British woman living in Los Angeles, said the phenomenon of global support that has sprung up with allegations of sexual misconduct against Weinstein and others "was the honeymoon."

"Now, I think the attack is going to begin," she said in an interview with the Associated Press.

Weinstein was charged in New York on Friday with rape and a criminal sex act in attacks on 2 women.

More than 75 women have accused Weinstein of wrongdoing around the globe. Weinstein denies ever engaging in non-consensual sex.

Godbold, 55, who runs a trauma-training NGO in Los Angeles, recalled two confrontations in 1991 with Weinstein, in New York and Los Angeles, where he allegedly exposed himself to her. At the time, she was in the film industry in Europe and trying to break into Hollywood. She had known Weinstein since the late 1980s through a friend, and went to him seeking an internship.

In his New York offices, Weinstein "put my hand on his crotch," then chased her to the elevator and kissed her in front of his staff, she claimed. At the Beverly Hills Hotel, Godbold claimed that Weinstein "asked me for a massage and presented himself naked and then tried to massage me."

Godbold went public with a partial account of her encounters with Weinstein when allegations were first published in the New York Times in October. Currently in France visiting family, she said she felt uncomfortable giving a full account of her Los Angeles encounter with Weinstein.

Godbold, now 55, said her cell phone lit up with messages from other alleged victims with Friday's developments, and "We're all elated."

She echoed numerous other women to explain why she did not press charges. "Unfortunately, I had been conditioned and socialized to believe that it was a horribly embarrassing gaffe. I wasn't raped." And, in the early 1990s, would police even take her seriously, she asked herself.

Despite the years, Godbold hasn't shaken what she describes as the traumatic recollections of a powerful man allegedly assaulting her, and she marveled at Friday's developments.

"Just the idea of him getting out of a police car with handcuffs is very satisfying because it makes it concrete," she said.

Now comes the tough part, Godbold said.

"We know that he has high-powered lawyers, that he's not above employing very dubious methods to extract information ," she said. "I think it's going to get dirty."

But the movement, #Metoo, that has grown out of women's pain is a "long overdue ... turning point" — and goes beyond sexual misconduct, Godbold said.

"It has given ... any victim the power to stand up and say 'No,'" she said. "We can't go back."

Muscle Shoals drummer Roger Clark dies at 67

Roger Clark, a drummer who contributed to the legendary Muscle Shoals sound, has died.

The Times Daily reports that guitarist Travis Wammack says Clark died of a heart attack Thursday at home, at the age of 67.

Clark worked at FAME Recording Studios and Wishbone Recording Studio in the 1970s and '80s, playing on albums by Lou Rawls, Paul Anka, Tom Jones and others. He played drums on "Family Tradition," the breakthrough 1979 album of Hank Williams Jr.

Clark played his first paying gig at 14, going on to work in studios in Muscle Shoals and Nashville.

The Alabama Music Hall of Fame says he drummed on more than 30 gold and platinum albums touring with the Steve Miller Band, Journey and Pointer Sisters, among others.

Cover to Cover: Knocking On Heaven’s Door

Is the cover version better than the original? A copy or an ode? Which version of Knocking On Heaven’s Door, do you like best?

Weinstein turns himself in holding 2 entertainment bios

Harvey Weinstein's choice of reading material for his surrender to New York authorities on Friday drew attention to a pair of entertainment biographies.

Weinstein arrived at a New York police precinct holding Richard Schickel's biography of the late stage and film director Elia Kazan and Todd Purdum's "Something Wonderful: Rodgers and Hammerstein's Broadway Revolution." The Kazan book came out in 2005, the Rodgers and Hammerstein book this spring.

It was not immediately clear why he had those books, but public speculation focused on Kazan, who died in 2003. It's not hard to imagine that Weinstein, a self-described Hollywood outsider, relates to one of the entertainment industry's one most accomplished and notorious figures. Kazan was revered for directing the first Broadway productions of two of the country's greatest plays, Tennessee Williams' "A Streetcar Named Desire" and Arthur Miller's "Death of a Salesman." He also directed the film adaptation of "Streetcar" and the Oscar-winning classic "On the Waterfront." He was widely praised for bringing Marlon Brando's Method style of acting to the screen.

But many remember him for his 1952 testimony before the House Committee on Un-American Activities, when he named names of suspected Hollywood communists at a time many were losing work because of an industry blacklist. The anger had not subsided when Kazan was given an honorary Oscar in 1999. Some boycotted the ceremony and when Kazan approached the podium, after being introduced by Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro, such performers as Ed Harris and Nick Nolte sat grimly and didn't applaud. In his brief speech, Kazan offered no apologies.

The 1999 Oscars were notable for Weinstein, too: It was the night he won his only personal Academy Award, as producer of "Shakespeare In Love."

On Friday, Weinstein handed off the books at the police station, where he was booked quickly. An associate was carrying them when he left court a few hours later.

In an earlier time, both biographies would have been likely film projects for the disgraced movie mogul, who pleaded not guilty to charges he raped one woman and forced another to perform oral sex.

Weinstein was fired from his company and expelled from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and Producers Guild of America following detailed allegations of harassment and abuse published by The New York Times and The New Yorker in October. Both outlets won Pulitzer Prizes for their reporting.

Robert Indiana's home, studio to be transformed into museum

Reclusive pop artist Robert Indiana didn't open his island home to many strangers. That's going to change with his death.

Indiana's will calls for his Main Street home and studio, which he dubbed the "Star of Hope," to be transformed into a museum and for his entire art collection to be preserved and open to the public.

Indiana, whose "LOVE" series is instantly recognizable around the world, died on May 19 at his Vinalhaven Island home 15 miles (24 kilometers) off the mainland.

His attorney, James Brannan, filed the will in probate court on Friday in Rockland. The will, dated in 2016, stipulates the creation of a nonprofit organization that will receive royalties from his artwork.

Brannan declined to place a figure on the artist's estate but acknowledged most of the value is in the artist's collection. Based on the court filing fee, the value of the estate is estimated to be upward of $28 million.

The attorney said it will take time and money to accomplish the late artist's goal because the Victorian-style building has fallen into disrepair. The building is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Also complicating the late artist's plans is a lawsuit filed in federal court in New York City. The lawsuit accuses two men of insinuating themselves into Indiana's life and taking advantage of him in the final years of his life.

One of those men, Jamie Thomas, has served as Indiana's power of attorney for two years, and was tapped to be director of the museum, Brannan said.

The Morgan Art Foundation, which filed the lawsuit on May 18, plans to contest the will and Thomas' appointment to direct the museum. The foundation holds a copyright for the LOVE series and accuses Thomas in the lawsuit of mistreating Indiana.

"We will fight to protect Indiana's legacy and will be vigorously challenging this appointment with the Maine attorney general and in court," Luke Nikas, the foundation's attorney.

Thomas couldn't be reached for comment Friday.

Kathleen Rogers, a friend and former publicist, said she agrees that Thomas, a former studio assistant, isn't qualified to be in charge of Indiana's legacy. But she said she loves the idea of a museum.

"That's what we've been hoping for — that the studio would be preserved and turned into a museum," she said.

___

This story has been corrected to show that Indiana died on May 19, not May 29.

Coat of Arms is revealed for the new Duchess of Sussex

Britain's Kensington Palace has given details of the newly created Coat of Arms for the former Meghan Markle — an honor which is accorded by tradition to the nobility.

The Coat of Arms for the Duchess of Sussex, as she is now formally known, includes symbols that invoke the former actress' background and look to her future.

It features a blue background that represents the Pacific Ocean and golden rays of sunshine reminiscent of California, her home state in America. The shield includes three quills, representing the power of words.

A collection of golden poppies, California's state flower, sit on the grass beneath the shield together with wintersweet, which grows at Kensington Palace.

Officials said Meghan, who wed Prince Harry on May 19 in a spectacular ceremony at Windsor Castle, worked closely with the College of Arms in London to create the design.

‘Hair’ slated to be NBC’s next live musical

Broadway theater lovers, we now know what musical NBC will be tackling next -- the iconic ‘60s show “Hair.”

The peacock network made the announcement this week that it will produce the show for spring 2019. It will be helmed by Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, Entertainment Weekly reported.

“Its recent Broadway revival showed how timeless the show is and that it’s relevant to any era. ‘Hair’ is filled with heartfelt emotion, joy and thrilling music and it really will be the new dawning of the Age of Aquarius,” Zadan and Meron said in a joint statement.

>> Read more trending news 

Zadan and Meron have executive produced each of NBC’s musicals since its first, “The Sound of Music,” NBC said in a press release.

“Hair” originally hit Broadway in 1968 after an off Broadway run in 1967. It was revived in 2008 and 2009. There was a feature film released in 1979.

There is no word yet as to who will star and how they will adapt the show, which was cutting edge at its time, for a network TV audience, Entertainment Weekly reported.

The most recent musical television adaptation was April’s “Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert,” which starred John Legend, Sara Bareilles and Alice Cooper.

John Fogerty / ZZ Top 'Blues and Bayous' Tour: A Tale of the Tape

Two classic rock heavyweights take to the stage in a chooglin' boogie battle royale. How do they stack up?

Continue reading…

Nick Mason's Pink Floyd Supergroup Announces Debut Tour

Here's your chance to see an original member of the band reliving the early days onstage.

Continue reading…

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >