Now Playing
97.1 The River
Last Song Played
Classic Hits
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
97.1 The River
Last Song Played
Classic Hits

world

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >

Putin: North Korea should learn from fall of Saddam Hussein

Russian President Vladimir Putin urged North Korea to learn from the fall of Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, warning that it could suffer a similar fate unless it tones down its nuclear program, CNN reported.

>> Read more trending news

Putin, speaking at the close of the BRICs summit in China on Tuesday, warned against "military hysteria" in solving the Korean crisis, claiming it could lead to a "global catastrophe with a lot of victims."

North Korea launched its sixth test of a nuclear weapon Sunday with seismological data indicating the weapon was the most powerful ever to be detonated by Pyongyang, according to nuclear experts.

Putin said Pyongyang should take a lesson from history, invoking Hussein’s demise as Iraq’s dictator in 2006, CNN reported.

"Saddam Hussein rejected the production of weapons of mass destruction, but even under that pretense, he was destroyed and members of his family were killed," Putin said. "The country was demolished and Saddam Hussein was hanged. Everyone knows that and everyone in North Korea knows that.

"Do you really think due to some sanctions that North Korea will turn away from the path they've undertaken to create weapons of mass destruction?

"Russia condemns this action from North Korea. We think these actions take a provocative character, but we should not forget and North Koreans should not forget what happened in Iraq.”

'Peppa Pig' episode banned in Australia

An episode of the popular children’s show “Peppa Pig” was pulled off the air for a second time in Australia as some viewers complained it encouraged children to play with dangerous spiders, The Guardian reported.

>> Read more trending news

“Mister Skinny Legs,” a 2004 episode, was removed from online publication by the national public broadcaster, the ABC, in 2012 for sending the “inappropriate” message that spiders were friendly and not to be feared.

In the offending episode, Daddy Pig tells a frightened Peppa that spiders are “very, very small” and “can’t hurt you” after a spider enters her room.

That was considered “inappropriate for Australian audiences,” and the ABC banned it.

On Aug. 25, the episode was aired again on Nick Jr, a children’s channel affiliated with Nickelodeon and available on the Australian pay TV service Foxtel.

A Sydney woman identified as Jess told Fairfax Media she complained to Nick Jr. The channel initially refused to pull the episode, saying Mister Skinny Legs “did not look real.”

Australia’s dangerous spider species include the venomous redback spider, the funnel-web spider, white-tailed spider and wolf-spider, according to the Australian Museum. An estimated 2,000 people are bitten each year by redback spiders, and 40 by funnel webs. 

The five-minute episode shows the two children discovering the spider in the bathroom sink and befriending it. At the end of the episode, the children pour it a cup of tea alongside a set of dolls. “We are all going to have tea with Mister Skinny Legs,” Peppa says. “Peppa likes Mister Skinny Legs, everyone likes Mister Skinny Legs,” the narrator says.

Convicted Italian crime boss arrested in Uruguay

A top crime syndicate boss convicted of drug trafficking was arrested in Uruguay after being on the run since 1994, Uruguay’s Interior Ministry said in a statement.

>> Read more trending news

Rocco Morabito -- described as a prominent member of the Calabrian Mafia known as the Ndrangheta -- was living in a luxury villa and was using a false Brazilian passport, CNN reported.

Morabito was convicted in absentia for drug trafficking and organized-crime activities in Italy and sentenced to 30 years in prison.

Italian authorities said that Morabito had been responsible for shipping drugs into Italy and arranging distribution in Milan.

The Uruguayan Interior Ministry said Morabito was arrested Friday in a hotel in the Uruguayan capital of Montevideo, CNN reported. Italian police said the arrest followed "months of international cooperation and intelligence activity."

Italian Interior Minister Marco Minniti said Morabito was "considered one of the sought-after members of the Ndrangheta".

Uruguayan authorities said some months ago Morabito tried to enroll his daughter in a local school using his real name, and his fingerprints were confirmed by Italian authorities, CNN reported.

Authorities said Morabito entered Uruguay in 2001 using false Brazilian identification papers, including a bogus birth certificate. For the last decade he lived in a rural villa near the town of Maldonado, CNN reported.

When he was arrested, Morabito had 13 cell phones, an automatic pistol, 12 credit and debit cards, a large quantity of Uruguayan money and $50,000 in United States currency, plus currency certificates worth US $100,000, the Uruguayan Interior Ministry said.

German man carries 29 beer steins at once to set world mark

A German man from Bavaria set a world record for carrying beers Sunday, as Oliver Strümpfel broke his own record of 25 beer steins, which he set in 2014.

>> Read more trending news

Strümpfel bgan with  31 steins filled with beer but two tipped over at the last minute, Reuters reported.

“I first did 27, because I wanted to be sure and then at the end I said, ‘Let’s add another one and get over 30’,” Strümpfel told Reuters. “Unfortunately it didn’t quite work, but having managed to put 29 down. … I think it’s amazing.”

Strümpfel said he trained at the gym at least three to four times a week since February. The steins he carried Sunday weighed 152 pounds, Buzzfeed reported.

“When I think about it, it’s 200 hours for about 40 seconds of walking,” Strümpfel said Sunday.

Photos: William and Kate, their growing family

As the royal family announces that a third prince or princess are on the way, take a look back at Prince George and Princess Charlotte’s most photographic moments.

Prince William, Kate Middleton expecting third child

Officials at Kensington Palace confirmed that Kate Middleton was pregnant with her and Prince William’s third child, The Sun reported Monday.

>> Read more trending news

Queen Elizabeth was reported to be “delighted” with the news, according to the Sun. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge already have two children: Prince George and Princess Charlotte. According to the official statement, morning sickness forced Kate to cancel her schedule.

“Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are very pleased to announce that The Duchess of Cambridge is expecting their third child,” the statement read. “The Queen and members of both families are delighted with the news.

"As with her previous pregnancies, The Duchess is suffering from Hyperemesis Gravidarum. Her Royal Highness will no longer carry out her planned engagement at the Hornsey Road Children's Centre in London today.”

Hyperemesis gravidarum affects about one in every 200 pregnancies and results in severe nausea and vomiting -- with one of the main dangers being dehydration., the BBC reported.

The expectant child will become the fifth in line to the throne behind Prince Charles, Prince William, Prince George and Princess Charlotte.

If a boy, it will be the first time new rules to remove male primogeniture will be invoked, the BBC reported.

The change -- which stops royal sons taking precedence over their female siblings in the line of succession -- went into effect in March 2015.

The child will be the Queen's sixth great-grandchild. 

Frankfurt evacuated for disposal of WWII bomb

Tens of thousands of people were evacuated from Frankfurt on Sunday, as German authorities tried to defuse a massive World War II bomb discovered at a construction site.

>> Read more trending news

CNN reported that more than 60,000 people were forced to leave their homes as authorities worked to dispose of the bomb that was found Tuesday near the Goethe University Frankfurt compound, police said in a statement.

The bomb was found Tuesday close to the Goethe University Frankfurt compound, police said in a statement.

The British bomb is a 1.4 ton HC 4000 air mine, according to the statement. It remained under police protection early Sunday, CNN reported. Officials said it would take four hours to disarm the bomb.

Soon after 8 a.m., Frankfurt fire brigade spokesman Markus Röck said the evacuation procedure appeared to have gone smoothly.

The brigade's director, Reinhard Ries, told reporters: "The scale of this bomb is overwhelming. I have never seen anything like it."

Bomb test a ‘deliberate poke in the eye’ to China

North Korea’s test of a hydrogen bomb Sunday was a “deliberate poke in the eye” to China, its only real ally.

>> Read more trending news

Chinese officials said North Korea “disregarded universal opposition of the international community,” CNN reported.

"We strongly urge North Korea side to face up to the firm will of the international community on the denuclearization of the peninsula, abide by relevant resolutions of the UN Security Council, stop taking wrong actions that exacerbate the situation and are not in its own interest, and return to the track of resolving the issue through dialogue," the Chinese Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

>> North Korea confirms hydrogen bomb test

Mike Chinoy, a senior fellow at the U.S.-China Institute, said North Korea’s timing was a “deliberate poke in the eye.” The Chinese are currently hosting an economic summit with Brazil, Russia, India and South Africa, CNN reported.

>> Hydrogen bomb test: 5 things to know

"The Chinese have been pressing North Korea very hard not to stage a nuclear test," Chinoy told CNN. "It's a deliberate gesture of non-respect. And I think what it shows is that Kim Jong Un is extremely confident that he can provoke and push across the board without risking the kind of sweeping retaliation that would inflict enough pain upon him and his system that would force him to change his tactics."

North Korea’s hydrogen bomb test: 5 things to know

As tensions continue to build between the United States and North Korea, here are five things to know in the aftermath of Sunday’s hydrogen bomb test:

  • North Korea’s official news agency, KCNA, said the test was conducted to “examine and confirm” using the hydrogen bomb as a payload for an intercontinental ballistic missile. "It also marked a very significant occasion in attaining the final goal of completing the state nuclear force," KCNA said.

  • The security chiefs for the United States and South Korea spoke in a 20-minute emergency telephone call after North Korea’s test. U.S. National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster spoke with South Korea’s Chung Eui-yong, about an hour after the detonation.

  • North Korea tested two nuclear weapons in 2016, including one in September that occurred close to the country’s Foundation Day holiday.

  • South Korea’s weather agency said Sunday’s test appears to have been several times stronger than previous ones. The Korea Meteorological Administration estimated that the nuclear blast yield Sunday was between 50 to 60 kilotons. That is five to six times stronger than North Korea’s fifth test last September.

  • Russian President Vladimir Putin said Friday that it was a mistake to try to pressure Pyongyang into halting its nuclear missile program, Reuters reported.

North Korea: Mattis warns of ‘massive military response’ if North threatens U.S.

Sept. 3, 2017 4:45 PM EDT, WASHINGTON

U.S. Defense Secretary James Mattis issued a warning to North Korea Sunday afternoon following the North’s testing of a powerful nuclear bomb, vowing a “massive military response” if the rogue nation threatens the U.S., CNN reported.

>> Read more trending news

“Any threat to the United States or its territories including Guam or our allies will be met with a massive military response," Mattis said in a statement outside of the White House after a meeting with President Donald Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and other members of Trump’s security team. 

Mattis said Trump asked for a briefing on the “many militay options” available for  addressing the escalating threat from North Korea.

“We are not looking to the total annihilation of a country, namely, North Korea,” Mattis said after underscoring that the United Nations Security Council agrees North Korea is a threat, and is committed to denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula.

SEPT. 3, 2017 1:30 PM EDT, WASHINGTON

The Trump administration is drafting new economic sanctions against North Korea, following the North’s overnight testing of a powerful nuclear weapon, in its first test of a hydrogen bomb since President Donald Trump took office. 

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in an interview on Fox News Sunday  that he is handling the new sanctions.

"I am going to draft a sanctions package to send to the president for his strong consideration that anybody that wants to do trade or business with them would be prevented from doing trade or business with us,” Mnuchin said.

"People need to cut off North Korea economically. This is unacceptable behavior," he said.

Trump responded to the North’s saber rattling with a series of tweets Sunday morning, calling North Korea  “a rogue nation” that has become “a great threat and embarrassment to China.”

He also backed up Mnuchin’s comments.

“The United States is considering, in addition to other options, stopping all trade with any country doing business with North Korea,” the president said in a tweet.

Trump said he’s meeting with his national security staff Sunday afternoon to discuss North Korea’s latest actions.

The president also tweeted that North Korea’s words and actions “continue to be very hostile and dangerous” to the United States.

>> Related: North Korea nuclear test: What was tested; what is a hydrogen bomb; what happens next?

“South Korea is finding, as I have told them, that their talk of appeasement with North Korea will not work, they only understand one thing!” Trump tweeted.

SEPT. 3, 2017 6:15 AM EDT

North Korea, in a broadcast on its state-run television network, confirmed it has successfully tested a hydrogen bomb meant for intercontinental ballistic missiles, several media outlets reported Sunday. 

Seismological data from the United States Geological Survey showed that an explosion caused a 6.3-magnitude tremor in the northeastern section of North Korea, close to its Punggey-ri nuclear test site.

South Korea’s meteorological agency called it a "man-made" earthquake.

>> Hydrogen bomb test: 5 things to know

South Korea will hold a National Security Council meeting Sunday to discuss the incident, according to South Korea's Presidential office. The meeting will be presided over by President Moon Jae-in,  CNN reported.

U.S. National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster and South Korean National Security Office chief Chung Eui-yong held a 20-minute phone call to discuss North Korea's nuclear test, the Yonhap news agency reported, citing South Korea's presidential office. 

Chung Eui-yong, the chief security advisor for South Korean president Moon Jae-in, said his country will seek diplomatic measures to “completely isolate” North Korea.

“North Korea today ignored the repeated warnings from us and the international society and conducted a stronger nuclear test than before,” Chung told reporters.

Earlier, the Japan Meteorological Agency had observed a magnitude-6.1 tremor in North Korea, which showed a different waveform from a natural quake.

>> What you should know about North Korea

"The government confirms that North Korea conducted a nuclear test after examining information from the weather agency and other information," said Taro Kono, Japan’s foreign minister.

Lassina Zerbo, the Executive Secretary of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO), says data from North Korea's nuclear test indicates that the country's nuclear program is "advancing rapidly."

"It constitutes yet another breach of the universally accepted norm against nuclear testing; a norm that has been respected by all countries but one since 1996," Zerbo said. "It also underlines yet again the urgent need for the international community to act on putting in place a legally binding ban on nuclear testing once and for all. I urge the DPRK to refrain from further nuclear testing and to join the 183 States Signatories who have signed the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty.”

China’s Foreign Ministry on Sunday urged North Korea to stop its “wrong” actions, Reuters reported. In a statement, the ministry said on its website that China “resolutely opposed” and “strongly condemned” North Korea’s actions. The ministry urged North Korea to respect U.N. Security Council resolutions, Reuters reported.

Russia’s foreign ministry said North Korea’s action “deserves the strongest condemnation.”

In a statement Sunday, the ministry urged “immediate dialogue and negotiations.” It added that Russia is ready to participate in negotiations, “including in the context of the Russian-Chinese road map.”

Under that proposal, North Korea would suspend nuclear and missile tests in exchange for the U.S. and South Korea suspending their joint military exercises, CNN reported.

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >